Every parent wants their bundle of joy to feel safe and comfy at all times, especially during sleep. Fortunately, with the best baby blankets, this is easy to achieve. But the question is, what kind of blanket should you even get? Don’t worry, we are here to help with the decision-making process. Below, you will find the top baby blankets for different needs.
Best Baby Blankets
Several types of baby blankets exist that are perfect for Christmas gifts for moms, each in varying materials and sizes. Cotton, fleece, and polyester are probably the most common materials. Cotton is ideal if you want something soft, lightweight, and breathable. Fleece, on the other hand, does a fantastic job of trapping body heat, helping your baby feel warm. Finally, polyester is recommended if you prefer a cheap, long-lasting material.
|Baby 7-Pack Flannel Receiving Blankets by Simple Joys||100% cotton||30 x 30 inches||$15.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Swaddle UP Transition Bag by Love to Dream||93% cotton and 7% elastane||Medium (13 to 19 pounds), large (19 to 24 pounds), x-large (24 to 31 pounds)||$34.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Large Premium Knit Baby Swaddle Receiving Blanket by Copper Pearl||Polyester/ rayon blend||46 x 46 inches||$24.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Beekeeper Wearable Blanket by Burt’s Bees Baby||100% cotton||Small (10 to 18 pounds), medium (16 to 24 pounds), large (22 to 28 pounds)||$22.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Muslin Blankets for Girls and Boys by aden + anais||100% cotton||44 x 44 inches||$34.95 for a pack of four||Buy on Amazon|
|Premium Cotton Knit Baby Blanket by TILLYOU||100% Egyptian cotton||30 x 40 inches||$14.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Personalized Baby Blanket by Custom Catch||200 gsm fleece||36 x 36 inches||$32.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Unisex Baby Animal Face Security Blanket by Hudson Baby||100% polyester||14 x 14 inches||$8.30||Buy on Amazon|
1. Best Overall: Baby 7-Pack Flannel Receiving Blankets by Simple Joys
- Retail Price: $15.99 for a pack of seven (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Size: 30 x 30 inches
If you want a fuss-free blanket that gets the job done, check out the Simple Joys Flannel Receiving Blankets. Made with 100% cotton, this blanket is velvety soft and breathable for superior comfort. It measures 30 by 30 inches, which is the ideal size for swaddling, cuddling, and burping. Best of all, at about $16, you will already get seven blankets in one bundle, allowing you to get more bang for your buck.
2. Best Swaddling: Swaddle UP Transition Bag by Love to Dream
- Retail Price: $34.95 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 93% cotton and 7% elastane
- Size: Medium (13 to 19 pounds), large (19 to 24 pounds), x-large (24 to 31 pounds)
The Love to Dream Swaddle UP Transition Bag is a great choice if you wantan easy-to-use swaddling blanket. Primarily made of cotton, it cloaks your baby for unparalleled comfort and restful sleep. Even better, this product makes it easy for your child to transition out of swaddling. Specifically, it includes patented zip-off wings on the sleeves, which can be removed once your baby starts showing signs of rolling over. Start by taking off one wing, then remove the second wing once your baby has gotten used to having one arm out.
3. Best Receiving: Large Premium Knit Baby Swaddle Receiving Blanket by Copper Pearl
- Retail Price: $24.95 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: Polyester/ rayon blend
- Size: 46 x 46 inches
If you are looking to purchase a high-quality and all-purpose blanket, consider the Copper Pearl Receiving Blanket. At about 46 by 46 inches, it is ultra-large and designed to grow with your bundle of joy. Furthermore, the unique polyester blend delivers unmatched softness, stretch, and durability to keep your baby cozy. You will also love the trendy floral design, which adds a burst of color to your baby’s nursery.
4. Best Wearable: Beekeeper Wearable Blanket by Burt’s Bees Baby
- Retail Price: $22.95 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Size: Small (10 to 18 pounds), medium (16 to 24 pounds), large (22 to 28 pounds)
Want to cocoon your baby, but find swaddling too complicated? Check out the Burt’s Bees Baby Beekeeper Wearable Blanket. It is available in varying sizes for a snug fit, and even comes with a zipper opening for effortless diaper changes. And being secure, your baby won’t be able to kick it off during sleep. To sweeten the deal, this blanket is also made of organic, highly breathable cotton for ultimate safety and comfort.
5. Best Muslin: Muslin Blankets for Girls and Boys by aden + anais
- Retail Price: $34.95 for a pack of four (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 100% cotton
- Size: 44 x 44 inches
Muslin is the way to go if you want an incredibly soft, lightweight, and breathable fabric. There are plenty of options available, but our absolute favorite is the aden + anais Muslin Blankets. Made with 100% cotton, this product earns high marks in softness, comfort, and durability. As if that is not enough, it is also budget-friendly and comes in more than 20 adorable prints and colors.
6. Best for Summer: Premium Cotton Knit Baby Blanket by TILLYOU
- Retail Price: $14.99 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 100% Egyptian cotton
- Size: 30 x 40 inches
During the hot summer months, opt for blankets made with light, breathable materials to keep your baby cool and dry. You will find many to choose from, but our top pick is the Premium Cotton Knit Baby Blanket. Made with 100% Egyptian cotton, this blanket is luxurious and highly absorbent, making it ideal for sweaty or sensitive babies. Plus, the material is neither too thick nor too thin, so you do not have to worry about suffocation or overheating.
7. Best Personalized: Personalized Baby Blanket by Custom Catch
- Retail Price: $32.95 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 200 gsm fleece
- Size: 36 x 36 inches
The Custom Catch Baby Blanket is perfect if you want a personalized blanket for your bundle of joy – or a thoughtful gift during christening and other special occasions. The embroidered letters are subtle yet elegant, while the satin-edge fleece material is soft-to-the-touch. Even better, this blanket offers a secure fit for nursery beds and also grows with your baby.
8. Best for Comfort: Unisex Baby Animal Face Security Blanket by Hudson Baby
- Retail Price: $8.30 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
- Material: 100% polyester
- Size: 14 x 14 inches
For babies who often feel anxious and restless during sleep, there is no better nap companion than the Hudson Baby Animal Face Security Blanket. Made with 100% polyester, it is soft on your baby’s skin and provides a sense of security for a deep, uninterrupted slumber. As a bonus, this blanket is also available in over 20 different animal faces to suit your little one’s preferences.
Baby Blankets FAQs
What Are the Different Types of Baby Blankets?
There are several types of baby blankets in the market, but the most common ones include receiving, swaddling, wearable, and security blankets. Here is a quick rundown of each type.
- Receiving Blanket. This is probably the most popular type of baby blanket. Lightweight and simple, a receiving blanket is designed to cover your little one and shield them from the outside world. It is multi-purpose and suitable for a wide range of activities. For this reason, it needs to be washed pretty often, so make sure that the material is easy to clean and will endure repeated washing.
- Swaddling Blanket. As the name suggests, this type of blanket is designed to swaddle your baby, helping them feel safe and secure. Some products may also come with attachments, making it easier to envelop your child. For comfort, ensure that the blanket is thin, lightweight, and appropriately-sized.
- Wearable Blanket. Also known as sleep sacks or sleeping bags, wearable blankets offer the same fantastic benefits as swaddling, but without the hassle of having to wrap your baby. Essentially, this blanket is sewn closed at the bottom and the sides, but with holes for the arms and neck. Since they do not cover the face, they are considered a safer alternative to regular blankets and will not run the risk of suffocation.
- Security Blanket. Typically made of soft plush or fleece, a security blanket is not meant to cover your baby. Instead, it usually has a stuffed animal attached to it, providing emotional comfort. Your child will likely find it sentimental and keep them even as they grow older, so ensure that it is durable enough to last for years.
What Type of Yarn Is Best for Baby Blankets?
Not everyone wants to buy premade blankets. If you are into crafts, consider knitting or crocheting a soft, ultra-snuggly blanket for your baby. To do so, you will need a good-quality yarn. There are many to choose from, but cotton, bamboo, and acrylic are among the best options. These materials are soft and will not irritate your baby’s delicate skin. Furthermore, choose one that is also machine-washable and dryable.
What Is the Best Size for Baby Blankets?
The size largely depends on what type of blanket you plan to get, as well as your baby’s age and size. Refer to the table below to have an idea.
|Receiving Blankets||18 x 18 inches to 36 x 36 inches|
|Swaddling Blankets||40 x 40 inches to 48 x 48 inches|
|Crib Blankets||36 x 54 inches to 45 x 60 inches|
|Multi-Use Blanket||30 inches to 40 inches|
For receiving blankets, 30 x 30 inches is generally a good starting point.When your baby is still small, try to avoid outsized blankets as they could pose a safety issue. Once outgrown, the blanket can then be used as a burp cloth or play blanket. Of course, remember that this is just a guideline. It will still depend on your baby’s size.Also, take note that swaddling, crib, and multi-use blankets tend to be larger than regular blankets.
The Best Baby Blankets for Cozy, Well-Rested Babies
When it comes to baby blankets, it is best not to skimp on quality. For unmatched comfort, opt for a soft, snuggly, and breathable blanket from reputable brands. It has to be appropriately-sized, too. And more than likely, your chosen blanket will also end up acquiring a sentimental value. So, since your child will be using it for years and years come, ensure that it is well-made and long-lasting.