An infant car seat is one of the most important items to tick off on your to-buy list of baby items. When it comes to premium-quality car seats, you can never go wrong with Britax and Chicco. For years, these two world-renowned manufacturers have been producing the safest and most reliable car safety seats for babies and little kids alike. If you are torn between the two, do not fret. Our Britax vs. Chicco comparison is here to help you decide which brand is a better fit for your child.
Britax vs. Chicco Car Seats: An Overview
When it comes to prestige and reliability, Britax and Chicco are on equal footing. Both brands offer a wide range of child safety equipment, including car seats, strollers, and travel systems, among others.
Britax is a British manufacturer of childcare products. Although they have been around since 1938, they only started releasing child safety seats in the 1970s. Now, Britax is already considered a leading brand in the realm of safety technology. Aside from delivering the highest levels of safety, their products are also meant to make your life easier and more convenient. Their infant car seats, for example, are functional, durable, and easy to clean.
Chicco is another household name for parents. Found in 1958, this Italian brand is committed to style, comfort, and performance. More importantly, their products are specially created to help babies feel safe, comfortable, and happy at all times. Likewise, they are also passionate about empowering and supporting families. All of their infant car seats embody these grand visions.
In this article, we will compare the bestselling infant car seats from Britax and Chicco. But before that, it is important to understand the types of car seats available from each brand, as well as their safety profile and convenience.
1. Infant Car Seat Types
There are two types of infant car seats to choose from – infant-only and convertible. Both types support the rear-facing mode, which means that they are configured in such a way that your baby will be facing the back of the car. This position is designed to keep them safe in the event of a frontal crash, which is the most common type of car crash. Specifically, it cushions your baby’s head, neck, and still-developing spine, helping avoid life-threatening injuries.
Britax and Chicco offer both infant-only and convertible car seats.
Note: The most popular car seats from each category are rendered in bold. We will discuss them in greater detail later on.
Infant-Only Car Seats
Infant car seats only allow the rear-facing position. In general, they can accommodate babies between 4 and 35 pounds. The recommended weight range, however, usually varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.
The Best Britax Infant-Only Car Seats
The Best Chicco Infant-Only Car Seats
Convertible Car Seats
Convertible car seats are designed to grow with your bundle of joy. After reaching a certain age or body size, you can convert the seat from rear-facing to forward-facing. This model can typically support children up to 65 pounds, although the exact weight limit depends on whether it is set to rear- or forward-facing position.
The Best Britax Convertible Car Seats
The Best Chicco Convertible Car Seats
2. Car Seat Safety
The safety features are undoubtedly the most important consideration when buying infant car seats. Essentially, the product should meet or exceed the safety standards set by the industry. In the United States, there are two notable federal agencies involved in child passenger safety – the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
The NHTSA issues the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) – a set of regulations designed to reduce the occurrence of car crashes. The car seats from both Britax and Chicco comply with the FMVSS as stipulated by the law. They also equip their car seats with the most advanced safety features to keep your child safe during a collision. It includes a five-point harness, side impact protection, and removable seat inserts, among others. The SafeCell Technology of Britax, in fact, even goes well beyond the federal safety standards.
When riding an airplane, the safest place for your baby is to be properly strapped on the car seat – not on your lap. And to keep infants and little kids safe while flying, the FAA has issued strict safety requirements for child restraint systems. The good news is, all Britax harnessed car seats are approved for use on aircraft. As for Chicco, the KeyFit, KeyFit 30, and NextFit car seats are your options.
3. Car Seat Compatibility
Parents love convenient and cost-effective baby items. That includes infant car seats that can be transformed into a travel system later on. It simply means that the car seat is compatible with a stroller frame. Lucky for you, the car seats from Britax and Chicco are travel system-ready.
The Britax B-Safe 35 Ultra, for example, includes an integrated Click and Go adapter system. This enables you to connect the car seat to any Britax Single Stroller.
By contrast, the Chicco KeyFit 30 Zip Infant Car Seat is more versatile and attaches to a wider range of stroller frames. Aside from being compatible with most Chico strollers, it can also be used with strollers from popular brands, including Baby Jogger, Bugaboo, and UPPAbaby, among others.
Britax vs. Chicco Infant Car Seats
Now that you have a clearer picture of each brand, it is time to dive into the specifics. In this section, we will be comparing the top-selling products from each brand – the Britax B-Safe 35 Ultra Infant Car seat and the Chicco KeyFit 30 Zip Infant Car.
|Specifications||Britax B-Safe 35 Ultra Infant Car Seat||Chicco KeyFit 30 Zip Infant Car Seat|
|Product Dimensions||26.5 x 17.8 x 25 inches||27.5 x 17 x 24 inches|
|Product Weight (Seat Only)||11 pounds||9.6 pounds|
|Product Weight (Base Only)||9 pounds||8 pounds|
|Weight Capacity||4 to 35 pounds||4 to 30 pounds|
|Maximum Height||32 inches||30 inches|
|Click here to check the latest promotion||Click here to check the latest promotion|
Britax B-Safe Ultra 35
- 2 Layers of Side Impact Protection. Protective foam that cushions your baby’s delicate body to minimize crash energy.
- Impact-Absorbing Base. Compresses to absorb crash forces and counteracts forward flex during a collision.
- SafeCenter LATCH Installation. Makes the car seat base a breeze to tighten and secure.
- Integrated Steel Frame. Reinforces the structural integrity of the car seat base and helps reduce forward flex.
- Spring-Assisted Recline and Dual-Level Indicators. Facilitate easy and proper angle adjustment every single time.
- Built-In Lock-Offs. Guarantee a snug and secure seat belt installation with the least possible effort.
- No-Rethread Harness. Allows for an effortless adjustment of the harness height as your child grows and develops.
- Easy-Remove Cover. Makes it easy to keep the car seat clean, germ-free, and smelling fresh at all times. The cover is also machine-washable for convenience.
- Removable Body Pad. Extra padding that supports your infant’s head and body.
- Plush Padding and Fabrics. Keeps your baby comfy and cool throughout the ride.
- Extra-Large Canopy. Shields your child against the sun, rain, and other outside elements.
Pros and Cons
The Britax B-Safe 35 Ultra is equipped with some of the most advanced safety features in the industry. It is also exceedingly convenient. For instance, you do not have to remove or disassemble anything to adjust the headrest and the harness. This makes it easy to tweak the car settings and ensure that it offers a snug fit to your baby’s ever-changing body. Compared to the Chicco KeyFit 30, it has slightly higher weight and limit capacities, which means that it can be used for longer.
Still, the B-Safe 35 also comes with a few caveats. At twenty pounds, it is quite heavy and can be difficult to lug around. The car seat interior also tends to be narrow, making it better suited for thinner babies or those with more petite frames. Consequently, it means that it may not provide enough growing room for larger babies.
Chicco KeyFit 30 Zip
- Easy Leveling and Level Indicators.Helps you find the optimal base angle for supreme safety.
- SuperCinch LATCH Tightener.Promises a secure yet comfortable fit for your baby.
- One-Pull Harness Tightener.Allows for a quick and easy adjustment of the five-point harness.
- Lock-Off System. Makes it ideal for vehicles without the LATCH system.
- EPS Energy-Absorbing Foam.Lines the seat interior for superior impact protection.
- Quick-Remove Seat Pad. For easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Removable Head and Body Support. Extra protection for newborns and small babies.
- Multi-Position Canopy.Easily adjustable for unparalleled protection against the sun and rain.
- Zip Accents. Found on the canopy, visor, and boot for extra convenience and style.
Pros and Cons
More than just stylish, the Chicco KeyFit 30 Zipis also functional. Specifically,the spring-loaded leveling, bubble level indicators, force-multiplying latch, and other helpful features make the car seat easy to install, use, and adjust. It ensures that you can achieve the correct seat angle with minimal effort. Even better, the car seat is a no-brainer to remove from both the stroller and the base.
Like any other product, the KeyFit 30 Zip also comes with a few downsides. Aside from having a lower weight and height limit, the included canopy is also smaller than that of the Britax, translating to lower coverage. And while the zipper accents are handy, they can be difficult to use for some.Furthermore, parents complain that the buttons on the car seat straps are hard to press, which can be an issue in case of emergencies.
Britax vs. Chicco Convertible Car Seats
Convertible car seats may seem expensive at first, but they are cost-effective in the long run. That is because they can be used well into toddlerhood, eliminating the need for a separate car seat later on. If so, the Britax Advocate ClickTight and the Chicco NextFit Zip Air Convertible are some of your best options.
|Specifications||Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat||Britax Advocate ClickTight Convertible Car Seat|
|Product Dimensions||23 x 20.5 x 23.5 inches||21 x 19 x 29 inches|
|Product Weight||30.1 pounds||25.1 pounds|
|Rear-Facing Mode Weight Limit||5 to 40 pounds||5 to 40 pounds|
|Forward-Facing Mode Weight Limit||20 to 65 pounds||22 to 65 pounds|
|Maximum Height||49 inches||49 inches|
|Click here to check the latest promotion||Click here to check the latest promotion|
Britax Advocate ClickTight
- 3 Layers of Side Impact Protection.Surrounds your baby’s delicate head, neck, and torso to absorb crash energy while shielding them from debris.
- Impact-Absorbing Base, Impact-Stabilizing Steel Frame, and Impact-Absorbing Harness Pads. Work in tandem to keep your child safe and sound in the event of a crash.
- ClickTight Installation System.For a safeinstallation that is as simple as buckling a seat belt.
- Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator. Emits an audible”click” that indicates when the harness has achieved the optimal tightness.
- 7-Position Recline.For a quick, effortless angle adjustment.
- No-Rethread 14-Position Harness. Adjusts the harness with the push of a button.
- Removable Body Pillow. Easy to take out once your child has outgrown it.
- Plush Foam Padding and Fabrics.For unmatched comfort while on the road.
Pros and Cons
The Britax Advocate ClickTight is built for supreme safety and convenience. A standout feature is the three-layer side impact protection, which makes it one of the safest and most reliable car seats in the market. On top of that, it is straightforward to install and is suitable for either the vehicle’s LATCH or seatbelt system. And with the nifty Click & Safe Snug Harness Indicator, you can feel confident that your child is properly strapped in the seat before every ride.
Due to having a wide range of safety features, the Advocate ClickTight is much heavier and bulkier than the Chicco Nextfit Zip. So, if you have a small car, you want to make sure that the back seat can safely accommodate the unit. Some customers also note that the harness straps tend to be uneven or short. Furthermore, some users say that they had a hard time removing the seat using the ClickTight Installation System.
Chicco NextFit Zip Air
- 9-Position ReclineSure Leveling System.Makes it suitable for use for a wider range of car makes and models.
- DuoGuard Protection. Two-layer protection consisting of a deep rigid shell, energy-absorbing foam, and steel-reinforced frame.
- SuperCinch Tightener and LockSure Belt System. Guarantee a secure, fuss-free installation either with the LATCH system or the vehicle’s seat belt.
- 5-Point Harness with One-Pull Tightener.For hassle-free adjustment and a tight fit for your ever-growing child.
- 6-Position Adjustable Headrest andAuto-Adjust Shoulder Straps.For added comfort while your child is riding the car seat.
- Infant Insert. Ensures that the harnesses offer a snug fit for newborns and smaller babies.
- 3D AirMesh Backrest, Zip & Wash Seat Pad, and ComfortFlex Waist Belt. For breathability, comfort, and convenience.
- Thermal-Insulated Cup Holder. Even comes with a storage pocket for extra convenience.
Pros and Cons
The Chicco NextFit Zip Air is designed to accommodate growing children – while remaining ultra-convenient for parents.Specifically, it is intuitive to use and facilitates quick, safe installation every single time. Now, you can rest easy knowing that the car seat provides a tight yet comfortable fit for your baby. This model is also convenient and suitable for a vast range of children and vehicles. As a bonus, it is lightweight, easy to clean, and even comes with a cup holder.
The NextFit Zip Air does have a few drawbacks.For example, the head area is only lightly padded, which pales in comparison to the multilayered protection offered by the Britax Advocate. Some reviewers write that they found it difficult to tighten and loosen the harness straps. Furthermore, some customers also remark that the fabric is not breathable and can be uncomfortable against the skin.
Britax vs Chicco: The Final Verdict
Britax and Chicco are strongly recommended if you want a high-quality infant car seat for your precious one. Both brands promise a high degree of safety, comfort, and convenience. When choosing between the two, make sure to consider your needs, preferences, and even budget. After that, check out the best car seats from the two brands and assess which one matches your situation. Hopefully, our comparison article can make the decision-making process much smoother.
Generally, Britax is the way to go if you want unrivaled safety features. After all, they are one of the most trusted brands when it comes to safety technology. However, these special features usually add to the size and weight of the product. So, for those with smaller vehicles or those who struggle carrying heavy items, Britax car seats may not be ideal.
Chicco, on the other hand, is perfect if you prefer a more lightweight, stylish, and convenient option. Their car seats also tend to be smaller, making them better suited for travel or those with narrow vehicles. As a bonus, they are compatible with several stroller frames – both from Chicco and other brands. Lastly, they usually have extra features that make the car seat more convenient for parents and caregivers and alike.