Convertible car seats are the way to go if you want something that grows with your bundle of joy. Start with the rear-facing position, then flip the car seat around once your baby reaches the appropriate size. You will find many to choose from, but the Chicco NextFit Zip convertible car seat is, without a doubt, one of your best options. Stylish, secure, comfy, and intuitive to use, it has everything you need to make road trips safer and more enjoyable. Check out our Chicco NextFit Zip review to find out if this product is ideal for your baby and your family.
Chicco NextFit Zip Review
Chicco is already a household name in the world of baby products. But, they are especially revered for their premium car seats, which embody the brand’s commitment to quality, innovation, and style. More than that, they also place top priority on your child’s safety and comfort – while making your lives more manageable.
Chicco offers a wide range of car seats for infants and toddlers, but the NextFit Zip Convertible Car Seat is one of their bestsellers. It retains many of the beloved features of the older NextFit models but is made even better.
Chicco NextFit Zip at a Glance
In this section, we give you a quick rundown of the NextFit Zip, including the specifications, pros and cons, and who the car seat is for.
|Chicco NextFit Zip Convertible Car Seat
|21 x 19 x 26 inches
|Rear-Facing Mode Weight Capacity
|5 to 40 pounds
|Forward-Facing Mode Weight Capacity
|22 to 65 pounds
|Maximum Child Standing Height
|$299.99 (Click here to check the latest promotion)
What We Like
- Highly-rated and well-reviewed.
- Meets and even exceeds federal safety standards.
- Grows with your baby.
- Effortless to install.
- Extra-roomy and comfy for babies, making it ideal for long trips.
- Features ultra-thick paddings.
- Easy to adjust and tighten the harness straps.
- Offers a snug and secure fit.
- Available in 9 recline positions.
- A breeze to clean.
- Comes with a removable infant insert.
- Includes two detachable cup holders.
- Long life span.
What We Don’t Like
- Bulky and heavy.
- Pricier than most convertible car seats.
- Inside material requires air-drying.
Who It Is For
If you are looking to purchase a safe, well-made, yet fashionable car seat, then the Chicco NextFit Zip Convertible Car Seat is a great choice. It is also perfect if you want something easy to use, clean, and maintain. This product, however, has a high price point, so it is only for those who are willing to shell out more bucks than usual. Aside from that, it can also be rather bulky, so make sure that you have enough room in your vehicle.
Size and Weight
Once assembled, the NextFit Zip is 21 inches long, 19 inches wide, and 26 inches tall. It has average dimensions for a convertible car seat. But if you have a mid-sized vehicle, then you might not be able to fully recline the car seat when it is set to the rear-facing mode.
At about 26 pounds, the NextFit is rather heavy. Most of the bulk and weight, however, is due to the product’s safety features and high holding capacity. But this should not be surprising, as most convertible car seats tend to be on the heavier side.
Height and Weight Limits
Chicco recommends the NextFit Zip for kids up to 65 pounds or 49 inches tall. The specific weight limits, however, depend on the product’s configuration. The rear-facing mode is suitable for babies between 5 and 40 pounds, while the forward-facing position can hold little ones weighing between 22 and 65 pounds. But with the removable newborn positioner, you can safely use the car seat for infants between 5 and 11 pounds.
One of the things to love about the Chicco NextFit Zip is that it is an absolute breeze to set up. More importantly, it guarantees a correct installation every single time – whether you plan to use the vehicle’s LATCH or seatbelt system. The SuperCinch force-multiplying tightener, for one, ensures that the NextFit is properly connected to the LATCH hooks, helping reduce car seat movement. Meanwhile, the LockSure belt-locking system facilitates a secure installation of the car seat’s 5-point harness for a tight yet comfortable fit.
The NextFit is engineered for safety. In fact, this product even goes well beyond the federal safety regulations for crash protection. Now, you can breathe more easily knowing that your little one is safe and sound, especially in the event of a crash.
- DuoGard Side-Impact Protection. Provides two layers of side impact protection – a deep rigid shell and EPS energy-absorbing foam – to cushion your baby’s delicate head and torso.
- Steel-Reinforced Frame. Adds to the stability and strength of the car seat.
When it comes to comfort for your baby, the NextFit Zip is also a clear winner. Here are some of the product’s most notable comfort features.
- 9-PositionReclineSure Leveling System. Makes the car seat suitable for a wider range of vehicles, so that everyone in the backseat feels cozy while on the road.
- 9-Position Easy-Adjust Headrest.Ensures that your baby is always propped up at the appropriate angle.
- Padded, No-Rethread Harness.Facilitates the effortless adjustment of the harness straps, so you can feel confident that your child is secure before every ride.
- One-Pull Harness Tightener.Makes it easy to adjust the 5-point harness, ensuring a tight fit for your baby.
- Extended Use. Features an additional 25% legroom in the rear-facing mode to accommodate growing babies.
- Breathable Backrest. For maximum ventilation, keeping your little one cool and feeling fresh at all times.
- Zip-Off Padding. Ultra-soft and plush for unparalleled comfort.
- Removable Newborn Positioner.Provides extra head and body support for newborns and infants.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Over time, car seats are bound to get dirty and messy. Since you will have to clean them regularly, make sure to opt for a model that is reasonably easy to maintain. Lucky for you, the Chicco NextFit Zip is exactly that.
Of note is the zipper, which is what sets this product apart from the other NextFit models. This nifty feature enables you to easily remove the entire inside of the car seat – including the fabrics and padding – from the shell. That is, you do not even need to uninstall the car seat, resulting in a quick, effortless clean-up.
Aside from that, the fabric and padding are also machine-washable. For best results, use cold water and mild detergent, then set your machine on a delicate cycle. Alternatively, you can also spot clean or hand-wash the car seat interiors with mild soap and water. Air-dry them before use. As for the harness straps and plastic straps, sponge clean them using warm water and mild soap. Finally, the cup holder can be run through your dishwasher’s top rack.
The NextFit Zip costs about $300, which makes it pricier than most convertible car seats in the market. It is about $50 more expensive than the NextFit Sport, largely because of the zip-and-wash seat pad. So, aside from the superior safety and comfort features, you will also be paying for convenience.
Chicco NextFit Zip Review: The Final Verdict
Now, here comes the most important question. Is the Chicco NextFit Zip worth it?
Some parents might be hesitant to spend about $300 for a car seat, especially if there are cheaper options out there. But the NextFit is high-priced for a reason. So, if you have the budget, go for it. We assure you that you will be getting your money’s worth. After all, this premium car seat offers unparalleled safety and comfort features, keeping your baby safe and sound while giving you peace of mind. Best of all, it is also stylish, durable, convenient, and easy to clean.